On Mon, Apr 16, 2007 at 12:31:29PM EST, Thomas Ward wrote:
> Hi all,
> Over the weekend I've been doing allot of thinking about the Monty game
> engine which I had design to be generic enough to be applied to new
> side-scrollers. However, it seams that many of you are really into the
> FPS type games such as Shades of Doom, Sarah, Monkey Business, etc.

Having played both side scrollers and FPS games in audio and visually,
I'd personally say side scrollers, as it is often quite difficult to get
a user emerced in an audio FPS game, without having to go through a
tutorial of some kind, or asking for help. I also believe that
constantly having to check available options in an FPS game slows the
game play down somewhat. Visual FPS games sometimes have
interfaces/dialogs that need to be read, but especially when it comes to
weapons/powers to be used, in visual games, it is possible simply to
toggle through the available items, or press a number to jump directly
to a particular item.

As has also previously been said, there is still much to be explored
when it comes to side scrollers., yet at the same time, there is
probably also just as much to be explored in FPS games, particularly
when it comes to navigation. If a simple weapon/power toggle option was
in place, as mentioned above, and there was less of a reliance on menus,
I think the gameplay would flow a little more, and make the game more
emersive.

My two cents.
--
Luke Yelavich