From: "Thomas Ward" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Sunday, April 15, 2007 10:31 PM
Subject: [Audyssey] Side-scrollers vs FPS games.

Hi all,
Over the weekend I've been doing allot of thinking about the Monty game
engine which I had design to be generic enough to be applied to new
side-scrollers. However, it seams that many of you are really into the
FPS type games such as Shades of Doom, Sarah, Monkey Business, etc.
I know years ago side-scrollers were hugely popular in the sighted
gaming market and has produced some of the most popular games of all
time like Mario, Double Dragon, Legend of Kage, Castlevania, Megaman, etc...
I know from working on Monty they are relatively easy to make, adapt to
audio, and generally easy to learn and play.
However, as sighted game technology has advanced the First Person
Shooter was born. Games like Quake, Jedi Knight, Doom, etc began to be
very popular, and for the most part many sighted games are usually some
sort of FPS game and side-scrollers aren't what they use to be.
So my question is when I complete Montezuma's Revenge and Raceway would
you like me to continue to produce side-scrollers using the Monty 2D
game engine, or update the Monty engine to support more 3D FPS styles of
play.
If we go with side-scrollers I can concieve of many clones of classic
side-scrollers like Double Dragon, Mario, Megaman, etc being produced.
In addition since there is more or less an engine I could create new
interesting side-scrollers like a Star Wars one where you explore the
death star kill storm troopers, gather items for points, and battle it
out with Vader or the Emperor. Just an idea like that.
If we go with FPS, (First Person Shooters,) then we can have games that
are like Elete Force, Jedi Knight, Quake, etc with 3D worlds and mazes.
Obviously things are more realistic, and navigation is harder to get
since we visually can't see it. Though, it seams games like Sarah and
SOD are hugely popular, and I'm uncertain as to which type of style the
community really likes best.
Do you guys like FPS better or side-scrollers.
Cheers.