Hi Charles,
Something like that. I've seen games where the same key is used to do a
bunch of different things depending on the state of the player and
location, and so on.
In TR if Lara has her weapon drawn you can fire the weapon with the
control key. If the weapon is holstered the control key can be used to
pick up items, open doors, etc. Kind of cool really, but you have to be
conscious of what state your player is in so you don't trigger the wrong
action.