Hi Raul,

OK, I see what you are saying, but if the torches are not on a timer and
it's just a sound, then how are they working now?
End quote

When you step into a room that is dark it basically flips a trigger. It
lights a torch and based on if there is a torch burning or not it will
start playing the sounds for gems, coins, and other previously hidden items.
When that file is no longer playing the game turns off the sounds for
items in the room. Part of this is timer based, but the torch burning is
not. I do agree it is rather unconsistent, and a bit unrealistic.

 You go into a dark
room and the torch lights up automatically. Does this mean that the room
is now lit for that session regardless of how long you are in there for?
End quote

No, it doesn't work that way. The master loop does check to see if a
torch file is playing, and turns sounds on off acordingly. When your
torch file stops playing sooner or later the loop will see that and turn
sounds off.
I'm obviously going to have to completely rework this for beta 3 since
it is not really very consistent,and the design was more a stop-gap
measure to get it working rather than a final and good implamentation.
Anyway, to clear up some confussion let me go back to the beginning,
where I should have started, and explain the structure of how it
currently works.
As you probably already aware the r key keeps track of your room number.
Where update torch function that is attached to the main game loop/timer
which checks to see what room the player is in. If he stumbles into room
x and it is suppose to be dark it starts the torch burning sound. The
torch burning sound is not timed, but just one long file. When the file
stops playing the timer will either light another one, or stop the
sounds in the room.

1. Make the torch a timer. This way, the timer is paused if you view the
map.
End quote

I think I can handle that. That wouldn't take too long to acomplish. I
would have to retool theway things react to them, but it is only mildly
painful at this point.

2. make nothing visible in the room if you have no torch. This includes
nothing being spoken by the O command for objects, this includes not
playing sounds of monsters, and this includes not seeing monsters with
the map.
End quote

As for the o key I have plans to fix that. Not being able to see
monsters on the map requires a rewrite of the way the map works. <grone>

3. make it possible to jump over a monster and grab coins, gems,
potions, etc even if you don't know where they are because even though
it's dark, the objects are still there. Likewise, even if you don't hear
the monster, you should die if you come across them.
End quote

Now, that is possible. Those does require some serious retooling of the
way the game works, and it looks like beta 3's bug fixes and features
have just been given to me. <Grin>