Hi Raul,
Actually, the step sounds you hear aren't sand, but a mixture of dirt
and gravel step sounds. I had created them for my Tomb Raider game liked
them, and thought they would also work great for Montezuma's Revenge for
two reasons.
First, the historical Aztec and Mian temples and pyramids  were mostly
constructed with stone and dirt. Basically large adobe structures, and
it is likely the floor is dirt, and maybe some rocks or gravel. Granted
Montezuma's Revenge is a more Sci-Fi game still adding dirt to the floor
rather than sand is more realistic. More in keeping with how they would
have been built historically.
Second, when trying them out I really liked those sounds. It made me
personally feel like I was there. The sound quality sounded more real.
You know what I mean?
As for the torches I updated them to use a timer so if you view the map,
pause the game, etc they will also wait for you to return to normal game
play.