Heya Thomas and all.

Although I really enjoy the ability to use the mouse with rail racer and
consider it to be a really unique input device for us, I too get
frustrated especially using my wireless optical mouse which seems to be
really touchy no matter what I set the speed to either via control panel
or rail racer itself.  I actually have better luck using one of the old
style mechanical mice down where I work.  So what I am saying is that I
feel the actual mouse that you are using may have a bit to do with how
well you do with it especially until you get the hang of using it
something that I still do not claim to have done.  So you may want to
experiment a bit with different mice and see if that helps you at all.

One thing that I have had really good luck with is this little usb
trackball that somebody gave me because he was going to get rid of it.
I find I have much more control with this than with the standard mouse.
So if you have one of these or can get hold of one you might want to
give it a try.

As I say I do really enjoy the ability to use the mouse or the trackball
for this game and I agree with Che it definitely gives you more of a
feel of controlling the racer rather than just pressing buttons like we
do with so many other accessible games.

Best of luck.

Tom