Hi Liam,
Yeah, it is not an easy choice by any means. At first I had plans to go
the hardware id root, and then my laptop died, I picked up a used laptop
cheap, and discovered Microsoft screwed me over the hardware id and
product activation in Vista. That seriously changed my mind about the
fairness of hardware based product keys. It is nice and secure, but
unfair if you legally paid for the software, and the developer in
question decides to stop offering keys or asks too much money to get a
replacement.
In a business small as ours hardware based ids is a major hastle. I am
sympathising with Phil trying to contact each customer that failed to
enter his or her hardware id so they can get their keys. That's more
work than I want to put up with personally.