Hi Shaun,
The law is on the side of the parent company who holds the copyrights
for the software. If you buy Windows Vista for $250 one day and your
computer dies the next and you need a product key replacement and
microsoft charges $215 for the new key that is their legal right. That
is the actual prices quoted to me from Microsoft for Vista Home Premium.
While that  royally sucks the law is behind them, and we are just out of
luck.
We are fortunate in our small ag market that most developers, BSC, GMA,
etc don't charge for product key replacements. That isn't true for the
main stream markets where companies will charge you an arm and a leg for
new keys.