Hi Bryan,
When editing Python source code you can use any text editor you like.
You can use something like notepad, textpad, etc. Under Linux I use
gedit for editing Python and other program source code just because it
is a powerful text editor. All you have to do is save the file with a py
extention rather than txt.
As far as playing sounds and music in Python look at the tootorials for
Python on pygame.org.
As for Sapi source code the NVDA Project source might be a nice place to
look at Sapi  programming for Python.