Hi William,
First, I'd like to point out that only a couple of sounds were used from
Tomb Raider. More specifically the death, jump, and pain sounds for
Angela Summers were taken from Tomb Raider II. However, I could easily
remove them upon request from Edos or Core Design without too much
difficulty. That is a totally different tthing than outright copying an
entire game detail for detail.
Second, weather or not the owners of the copyrights know about it or not
copying a game is still illegal based on current copyright law. There
are ways of doing something similar to the copyrighted work without
directly violating the copyrighted material itself. one way is creating
your own work with different characters, slightly different story line,
and the same kind of action and adventure.
Third, as for the sound effects most of the effects are common everyday
effects anyone can create. For example, the gun sounds, foot step
sounds, wolves, dogs, mummies, etc are all sound effects anyone can
create or obtain through legal means. In fact, some sounds like the 44
Magnum I have found an effect that was better than the original one.
Mine actually has a echo and report that sounds more realistic.
Finally, as far as the music goes I do plan in offering the original TR
music for my Tomb Raider game, but under a different license. If you
don't like the stock music with my Tomb Hunter game you can download the
music and sound pack, agree to the license, and install it. However, I
won't ship the music with the game do to copyrights.