Hi Will,
Doo keep in mind that the Montezuma's Revenge engine was for the most
part suppose to mimic or emulate the original game to a degree. If I
would have added lots of randomness or other modern features into it the
purests would have had a fit.
I am developing a totally new side-scroller now, and since it is not
suppose to be based on any specific game I can think about some random
features, or do things differently.
Maybe not randomly place every item in the game or monster but things
like attack damage, health power ups, etc would make a big difference
already.
Here is an example of a side-scroller trap that was used and made the
game challenging. In the original Megaman, a side-scroller from the
1980's, there was this area where Megaman had to jump across these
colored blocks. One would appear and you would have to jump on it. Then,
when the next one appeared jump onto it as the one you were standing on
vanished. Because the blocks appeared and disappeared at random
intervals you never knew when the one you were standing on would vanish
and the next one would appear. Sometimes you might have to jump back a
colored block or face being killed by the vanishing block you were
standing on. I use to get killed all the time on those stupid blocks, it
was hard, but took a while to get across them.
To say every side-scroller is boring and too easy is simply not true.
The problem is no blind accessible side-scroller has lived up to the
hkind of challenges in Megaman and other games of that era that made
gaming history.