Hi Tyler,
First, I'd like to say that the recording quality was ok. there is
nothing wrong with the recording quality. Saving as 128 KBPS mp3 format
is quite common for podcasts, and is cd quality audio. So no need to
worry about recording quality.
Second, I have a few suggestions or ways you can improve your podcasts
based on some experience with public speaking. While in college I had to
take some courses on communications, and there are actually a few things
you can do to better structure your thoughts, show off a game, and get
your points across clearer.
The first thing you can do is write up a text/braille outline of the
topics you want to cover in your podcast. This will help you layout your
show, remind you of what order each topic will be discussed, and include
reminders of key points. Most people who do public speaking use a
written outline for easy reference during their program.
For example, in your podcast I've often noticed you would start into a
subject, go um wait, start something else, come back to the earlier
subject, and then go I forgot to mention this, etc. If you had an
outline of your program brailled up and sitting on your desk in front of
you all you would need to do is look up your show notes and remember
what it is you wanted to talk about.
Second, you might want to remember to stay a foot or so away from your
microphone. A lot of newby podcasters make the mistake of getting right
up on their microphone, talk into it, and get a really distorted section
of the cast. The rule of thumb is to be at least 12 inches away from the
microphone in order to get a clean recording. it also will give your
podcast a level recording volume.
Third, if you are going to demonstrate something that you can't explain
while you re playing it would be a good idea to cover it to some degree
before actually letting the player hear it being played out. An example
of this is the combat portion of your podcast. You didn't really explain
the combat very well, and while I could hear you fighting the enemy
ships I simply had no idea how you were doing it. You may have avoided
some confusion by spending a minute or two before hand explaining step
by step how to combat enemies in the game.
Last, you might want to spend a minute or so before your podcast just
doing some basic setup for your show. An example is I noticed part way
into your show you launched the game, and then spent 30 seconds or so
fiddling around with the jaws speech rate, logging into the game, and so
on. You might want to set that up to start with, or pause the recording
while you fiddle around with this or that. If you do so your podcast
will come off a little more professionally done, and save on file size
as well.
Hth.