Hi Shaun,
All of the Vista specific features can be turned off. The new start
menu, 3d desktop, new animated icons, user account control, etc can be
turned off in Vista.
However, I usually leave most of it turned on because it does not effect
accessability, and I can relate to sighted people who are using vista.
Not only that many of the new features such as user account control are
new security features, and by disabling it you are putting your system
at risk from all kinds of milicious software applications. The problem
with most blind computer users is they aren't willing to change and
learn how to do new things. they would rather install the new OS, and
turn it back into the same thing they already have. Well, I am of the
opinion if you want to turn the new start menu, user account control,
etc off then there is no reason to update to Vista. If it is XP you want
then keep XP.
As for Windows 7 not much is known about it yet, but I have heard it is
basically going to be a version of Vista with a biggger driver database,
all Vista patches included, Internet Explorer 8, .Net Framework 3.5, and
a few odds and ends tossed in for a new look and feel. Basically, an
upgraded Vista.

shaun everiss wrote:
 > hmm maybe you could do a vista guide or something tom, unless mike
has vista.
 > At any rate you can have the old style menus I think in vista which
even though its backward in productivity is what I will do if and when I
get vista, same goes for security, even if I have to get some weird
alegal crap to do it.
 > Call me a stand still old timer but I just can't see why I should
bother with all this new stuff if I am already getting buy now.
 > As it is if for whatever reason both these laptops here break I will
probably go desktop, unless win7 is any better that is.