Hi Justin,
It really all boils down to the stats listed on the armor in question.
For example an unmatched set of leather armor is about on par with a
common set of plate armor. If you don't have a very high enc rating then
the unmatched leather armor will be as good as the common plate armor
except it is a lot lighter to ware.
In my personal experience the material is usually less important than
the quality of the armor in question. For example, I have a complete set
of un matched chain armor. according to the stats at Griphook's my chain
armor is equal to the unmatched skale armor, but of better material.
As far as armor goes the best place to buy armor is Griphook's in
Trindmoor. However, the unmatched armor he sells is extremely expensive.
My suit of chain armor cost me something like 50,000 in gold. A complete
plate armor suit of unmatched quality is 65,000 if memory serves me
correctly.
Anyway, if you are just starting out what I would do if I were you is
under take some quests such as the Seven Nights and Gralgorak's tomb to
pick up some decent armor for free. After you take on several quests and
build your gold supplies up you can purchase something really good like
an outfit of unmatched armor.