Hi,
Well, throwing caution to the wind is never a good idea at any time. We
are talking about a little research such as getting familiar with a new
screenreader, learning about what hot keys do what, a totally new
directory structure, etc. Linux is similar to Windows in the gnome
desktop is a lot like Windows complete with a start menu, similar
looking and functioning Office products, etc. In another way Linux is
alien in it uses a Unix-style file structure with binary files in
/usr/bin, library files in /usr/lib, shared components like sounds and
docs in /usr/shared, etc. I'd recommend any user run Linux off of the
live cd before ever installing it. The live cd will run slow, doesn't
have good stuff like gnome-mud, etc but you can learn the os with that
and find out stuff without actually crashing and burning an installed os
doing experimentation.