Ok, going to reply to 3 different messages here.

Not sure if you've gotten past all this che, but if you've got the latest
version of the patch you should see just about everything on the screen to
start with. I think the only thing you can see if your patch isn't working
properly is some of the travel screen, aka planets and jump points, but you
wouldn't be able to buy ships, upgrade equipment and such. The battle screen
I think has been workable from the start, though I'm not entirely sure.
Either way I believe the patches upgrade from any version to the latest
version, so if you unzipped everything odds are you've got the latest
version.

As for the scan mode, that's mostly for finding pirates and getting into spy
missions and abduction missions and such. The options are actually attack,
communicate and back, and back's the one you want.

Dark, as of right now fleet combat isn't very accessible. Basically it looks
a bit like this. You have 3 options. Attack target yourself, selected escort
attacks and emergency shield recharge. Well I guess you have retreat as
well, but who in their right mind would ever use that option? *grin*. What
you can do, with jaws at least, is click on the graphics that are across
from eachother. In all the fleet missions I've seen, you get a fleet of 3
ships escorting you, 2 destroyers and a cruiser, and you go up against the
same and 3 battleships, so you're actually pretty heavily outnumbered. Once
you've beaten the two destroyers and the cruiser on the enemy side though,
the 3 battleships don't show up as graphics, so your only real option is to
run the mouse straight up from the attack buttonand hope for the best trying
to click on the next ship symbol to select your target. The one thing I
haven't tried yet is ground combat, I can't figure out how to engage it, but
supposedly there's supposed to be missions or raids of some kind where you
can take your crew to a planet and drop your marines planet side and kind of
supress the planets army in that fashion. I'm not sure if he scrapped that
idea or not. Either way, even without it, smugglers4 has tons of features
and is probably the closest thing to a completely accessible RPG we'll get
in a long time. I love it.