My game Entombed now has a lot of these features as well. You can select
races and classes (called jobs in my game) and set out in a dungeon. I
played with the idea of making it sort of like Eamon when I first started
designing it because I remember that being a lot of fun in my childhood. In
the end, I went with a hybrid rogue-like design.

Eamon was neat because you had this static hub where you could launch your
adventures. One draw back was that you always had to sell your jewels and
treasure before returning to the hub. You could never find something in an
adventure and take it back with you. Maybe an enhancement begging to happen
in a future text-adventure engine?

Jason