Okay. Let me correct myself... thanks, Thomas, I completely forgot since my knowledge of side scrollers is limmited, not having played too many of them. Yes, climbing is also a possibility, so it's basically a game that goes left and right, but can also have more than one level. Say you could leap onto a platform, leap onto one higher up and there'd be a new area to explore. Growing up in the 90s, I didn't get into games until I was about 7, and by that time it was already 1999 and side scrollers weren't as common anymore. ----- Original Message ----- From: "Thomas Ward" <thomasward1...@gmail.com>
To: "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Thursday, December 18, 2008 5:39 PM
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] What games are people playing now?

Hi,
You are forgetting that most side-scrollers will also let you climb up
and down on staircases, ropes, vines, whatever. Liam's Super Liam game
doesn't have that feature but both my side-scrollers Montezuma's
Revenge and the newer side-scroller, Mysteries of the Ancients, allow
you to climb on things giving you up and down movement as well as left
and right.
Smile.

A side scroller is a game that only moves in the left and right directions.
The up button on a keyboard or controller is used for jumping, down for
ducking. In short, forward and backward are the same as left and right,
because side scrollers are 2d. And the only way direction to turn in is to
turn 180 degrees and face the opposite direction.