Well, spell switches wise, it was very much the same way that the tables in Esp pinball extreme work (not sure about Classic sinse I've only tried the demo).

For instance on a haunted house themed table entitled Stones -n- bones, spelling the word death would make skulls appear around the table which you could crack open for extra points, and r-i-p would bring up litle tomb stone barriers which blocked some of the nastier drains for a while.

Number switches as I remembered tended to either count up or down to some special event.

In sonic spinball for example, there was a gate which would only open when you hit a counter down to zero, ---- the counter which started at 3.

I'll say that pinball Extreme is one of my favourite arcade style audio games ever created, owing to the massive ambience, fairly realistic gameplay and quirky minigames.

I'd actually say imho pinball is improved by being audio, sinse the necessary sound limit on what's going on and the need to focus on the pinball as it rolls around the table gives a much better sense of both exploration and danger than for instance seeing a wide view of the table (in some graphical pinball games even the hole table), and just watching your ball roll around it.

Beware the Grue!