And I suppose if your game has background music, telling the game which tune to play at what point and so on, not to speak of sound effects.
Can blind folks play therimins? I wanna find out!
To: "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Saturday, January 31, 2009 10:35 AM
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] MOTA

Hi Bryan,
Well... Yes and no. Sure there are differences between an FPS game and an old Atari style shoot-m-up, but many of the core concepts behind them are the same. For example if you write a joystick interface for a game it makes no difference if the game is Pong or Shades of Doom. The code is pretty much going to be identical no matter what. My point being once you know how to program the core features of a game such as keyboard input, joystick input, do the audio, create a master game loop, etc you are already 75% the way to creating a game. After that you just need to write the functionality that fitst the game weather it is walking, running, or batting a ball back and forth, etc. If you are an acomplished programmer figuring out how to bat a ball back and forth or running/walking should come naturally. The skill is in knowing how to program, and think in terms of logical progression of the code.

Bryan Peterson wrote:
It would have to take into account the many different styles of games one might want to design. No two genres are the same you know, especially in programming I'd imagine. Those days were over after the Atari 2600 line was obsolete.