Hi,
I see no reason whatsoever why you shouldn't go that route, to use MOO
code instead of building your own server. Building it would require
lots of coding, probably in C++. Basically, MOO has it's on server
(LambdaMoo or GammaMoo) Server and databases. There are several
databases to use. I personally recommend a database called LambdaCore.
I don't have much experience 'setting up' the MOO server, however I've
somehow done it before, and it's not too difficult. In fact, most
MOO's use MOO Code/Server instead of building there own, as far as I
am aware. I know myself, and a few others, wouldn't mind coming onto
your MOO and helping you code some things. As far as hosting, there is
a free host called Moo Cow Penguin at www.moocowpenguin.net/ .
-Ryan