Just to add to this, Kai's point about guns decaying is a great one.
Something else that would also go a long way toward realistic weapons
is bullets falling and ricocheting.  True it'd mean finding sounds for
each surface, but it would give you some more real physics to play
with, specially if you could take into account water. I've never been
swimming with a gun, honest, but I'm taking an uneducated guess that
water messes with velocities and suchlike.