Hi Michael,

Michael Said:
True enough. I would wager that most of the sidescrollers could be made accessible with the efforts of a good programmer and audio person who took sound seriously.

tom Says:
I'd agree with that. Side-scrollers are already fairly simple in that you basically move left to right so the direction of action is fairly clear. Then, add to that that all that is really required here is a simple stereo pan control. Every llanguages audio API from Javax.Sampled.Sound, to SDL, to DirectX has a simple pan control. So actually positioning the sounds left or right is really easy from a programmers point of view. Take a game like Mario. All it needs to be accessible is sound effects for everything that indicates when to jump over this or that, sounds to indicate when a certain flower is near, etc. I've beaten the first couple of levels with memory alone in the passed so if sounds and speech were added it would not be difficult at all. I guess the most frustrating thing is knowing the game is so close to being accessible do to a good layout and design, but so far away because of lack of audio content.