Hi Pranav,

Thankfully, it's the latter option, RailRacer has it's own virtual
currency.  You win money by winning races against the computer and
optionally betting against other racers online.  There is a class
rating system for the tracks, the higher the class the trickier the
track, and the more virtual money it's worth to win a race on it.
There are also a few extras you only have access too once you've
worked your way up to being a certain class of racer.

In short, it's good stuff.  More depth to it than a lot of audio
games, but not so much depth and technicality that it stops being fun.

hth
Scott