Hi,
Thanks, Bryan. That's almost exactly what happened. The outspoken group who wanted the classic side-scroller gave me considerable grief for exorsizing any kind of modern variation or modern style of game, and a few of them are still at it. The people who wanted a more modern game said so, but they got shouted down by some of the customers who wanted something like Monte. In the end I went with the side-scroller, but many people began coming forward that they want this or that. Features that are relatively modern, and were not present in the 1980's. Weather any of them knew it or not I got stuck right in the middle of these two groups, and I still don't know which is the larger group.

Bryan Peterson wrote:
I think the issue here is that when most people who paid for the game did so, they were expecting to get a classic side scroller, no random monsters or items, no saving games, no nothing really, since classic side scrollers didn't feature all that. Thomas posed approximately this same question in January of 2008 and let's just say the response wasn't pretty. People kept demanding exactly what they paid for and criticizing Thomas for trying to exercise his own creativity to keep from burning out on the project, so much in fact that Thomas seemed on the verge of cobbling together James North's original code or as close to it as possible, releasing it and then ceasing development altogether. But he felt he had to give people something, even if it wasn't exactly what they were promised. I could of course be totally wrong about all this but this is my interpretation from all that I've observed.