To: "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Friday, November 20, 2009 2:34 PM
Subject: [Audyssey] Castlevania was Developer Time

Hi Dark,

I too think if we are going to replace the whip with something else it should be a weapon with some historic value. Not only is it better for the game's back story, but I think it would help to draw in some actual vampire lore into the game such as a stake through the heart or wooden spear. Although other helpful items to find and use would be a torch, holy water, and a silver cross.

So far we've only talked about Dracula. What about other monsters in the game?

I think we should include skeletons, dead knights, wolves, and bats as all of those enemies appear quite regularly in the Castlevania series. Not to mention Bram Stoker's Dracula mentions Dracula's power over the wolves of Transylvania.

Now, that I think about it Dracula gets a bit old as a game boss. There is nothing stopping me from inventing a new boss vampire to base the game around. Perhaps a vampire queen who was created by Dracula, and replaced him as lord of the vampires. Er...That's queen of the vampires. <grin>

dark wrote:
Well tom, it is a weapon that's always confused me a litle, ---- hence my desire for a spear, and even more my desire for a spear with history.

the ability to be upgraded in game isn't limited to whip's though. following the same castlevania model you could start out with a short wooden spear, then get a metal spear, then a long metal pike for bigger range, ---- though you could always play even more with the idea.

suppose for instance, it was a holy spear which could both grow and extend your reach, and have it's tip transmute into harder and harder substances depending upon how many of a given power up, ---- like a crusifix you found.

it could start with Iron, move on to steel, move on to obsidian, silver (not realistically a good material for spear tips but has magical associations), obsidian and finally diamond.

there is also a more practical advantage. just like in super Castlevania you'd need different sounds for each level of whip, --- because obviously swinging leather and swinging chain sound vastly different.

A spear however, ---- whatever it's tip was made from and however long it's shaft, would probably sound pretty similar whatever happened, ---- all you'd need is for Sapi to speak how powered up your spear was as needed.

Beware the grue!