Hi Bill,
The problem you are facing has to do with the fact that Jaws and other screen readers do not play along well with DirectX. Games that use DirectInput lock up when the screen reader is running because the fact Jaws and the game are both trying to get direct access to the keyboard at the same time. The solution here is to either turn your screen reader off completely when playing the game, (recommended,) or put your screen reader to sleep while running the game.

HTH

William L. Houts wrote:

Hi listers,

I've tried several games in the last couple of days and all of them have been failures. I downloaded Smugglers 4, Q9 and the MOTA Demo, and despite the friendly invitation to select options with my arrow keys, I couldn't get my system to react at all. To top it off, I've just tried to play Core Exiles, and while I can log into the game with my character, I can't seem to work the combo boxes. Are these games made for post-XP Windows, or am I doing something wrong?

--Bill