From: "Thomas Ward" <thomasward1...@gmail.com>
To: "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Sunday, November 29, 2009 4:37 PM
Subject: [Audyssey] Screen Readers and Games

Hi Dark,

Unfortunately, it is pretty much like anything else. It all comes down
to how it is marketed to the masses. Unfortunately, the blind don't have
some central goto source for things like screen readers and accessible
games and they hear about them via word of mouth or through agencies
that have their pet product to give you.

For example, take a game like Termite Torpedo. You and I might agree it
probably isn't the best accessible game ever made, but it happens to be
produced by American Printing House who is well known by state agencies,
schools for the blind, whatever. As a result a while back when I was
talking to BSVI and mentioned that I was working on my own accessible
games the first thing out of their mouth was, you mean a game like
Termite Torpedo?"

The bottom line here is most of those people knew nothing about Audyssey
or most of the games that are out here for the blind. The only reason
they knew about Termite Torpedo is because it happens to be in their
catalogs, and it is made by a well known organization in the first
place. As a result that game, which is so so as far as accessible games
goes, has a chance of reaching a wider audience just because it is sold
by someone of some repute and renown in the blind community.

The same problem happens to developers of screen readers and other
accessible products. Some companies have an automatic in, and it is hard
to change the system because colleges and government agencies have been
stuck in that mold. They have designed their entire program around
certain products and have no desire to change.

When I was at Wright State they offered a special class for both blind
and sighted  students geared toward accessibility software as an
elective. Since I needed the credits and it looked like an easy class to
ace I took it. As it turned out the woman who taught the class claimed
to be an expert on accessibility software for the blind, but actually
was nothing of the sort. As it turned out I knew more than she did on a
variety of topics.

Anyway, that entire class was based on Freedom Scientific products such
as Jaws, Magic, and Openbook. Nothing was said about competing products
like K1000, Window-Eyes, Hal, Zoomtext, or anything else that should
have been mentioned or covered in that class. The final project for the
class was to write a business proposal to be presented to a company or
state agency requesting a computer loaded with accessible software, and
explain why.

Well, for my proposal I set out to write my paper on access software I
happened to use and know well such as Window-Eyes as my screen reader,
Omnipage Pro for OCR, and Zoomtext for screen enlargement. I did so for
two reasons. First, I wanted the instructer to realise there is software
out there besides what she covered in class, and maybe by reading my
paper she might learn something new. Second, I personally used the
software I wrote about, and liked the products better in many cases than
the software that was covered in class. Third, in some cases like
Omnipage Pro was much cheaper than Openbook, worked well enough for my
uses, and I would be saving the agency or company lots of mony on that
sale alone. So you want to know what happened?

Well, the instructer took several points off my grade simply because I
didn't use any of the products covered in class, and it clearly was a
case of I was suppose to parot back everything I heard in class in my
proposal. As that hadn't been specified by the instructer I naturally
took some issue over that, but I honestly don't think she knew how to
grade the ppaper objectively. She admited as much in her office she
wasn't familiar with Omnipage Pro, Window-Eyes, etc so couldn't evaluate
them so knocked points off.

However, I think this proves a very important point about how products
like Jaws gets an almost legendary following in the United States. It is
simply that colleges, state agencies, schools for the blind, and any
other large institution has adopted Jaws early on, and it is almost
impossible to convince them to maybe take a closer look at Hal,
Window-Eyes, or System Access. Even if you can convince someone within
that institution, such as a university,  to take a closer look at
alternative products there is no garentee their superiors will agree to
fit the bill for a completely new product. They'd rather stick with what
they have regardless of if it is better or worse than the alternatives.