Hi Thomas,
Well, to be honest everyone starts somewhere. I dread to think if I went back 5 years what my code looked like. Even now I am not very experienced with games programming. Yes I can make the odd utility in VB, but even then I've been having reports left right and centre regarding bugs that I can't seem to replicate. However, learning C++, I am right back to novice state. I feel humiliated to say that so far, after almost a month of trying to learn, I still can't even write a clean hello world program. Probably because of its extensive nature. In VB, I had to write it as a message box simply because I wasn't practising coding by drawing a window and saving an executable. So as you can imagine, writing a 3 liner in a message box to writing an 85 line version creating a window is a large jump.
Regards,
Damien.

To: "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Thursday, December 24, 2009 1:22 PM
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] Giftanum?

Hi Damien,
Cool. I just wanted to check, and I personally don't have a problem with you taking over Giftenum. You have the other XL Studios games anyway so it makes sense that the rights stay with you. In terms of Jason's code I have to agree with you. I've been programming for about 10 years, and his code was very messy. He was definitely not a very experienced programmer and his code litterally screamed amateure programmer. For that reason alone I wasn't exactly happy about upgrading the game without a full and clean rewrite of it anyway.

Cheers!

Damien C. Sadler wrote:
Hi Thomas,
Wow, certainly some news to me.
About two years ago, Shane Davidson put Giftanum on his own website for download, along with the source code. I downloaded the game and read in the updated documentation that there were still some sound updates to make. I made those sound adjustments for him, repatched the installer, and sent it to Shane. Shane then contacted me, claiming that I had broken the source code. As it happened, I hadn't even touched the source code, and upon checking I found that the code would not run or compile either, claiming files, functions and variables to be missing. Shane then took the game down and informed me that he was no longer interested in developing it. Therefore I went to Jason, asked if I could take over, and he gave me the code for all three games - Self Destruct, Giftanum and Danger City. Since then I have been hosting the originals on my website until I could get the games updated, which I will admit took a lot of time to get to grips with Jason's coding methods. Then of course I start actually updating the thing I am switching languages, so I would have to do a whole rewrite anyway. So much for a wasted half year! *Grin*.
Regards,
Damien.