To: "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Monday, January 04, 2010 1:29 AM
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] Public betas vs private testing

Hello,

The business, productivity, and AT programs which I have alpha and beta
tested were typically in the multi-hundred to few thousand dollar range.
For these products, beta testing has always been quite intensive;
usually lasting at least six months and requiring considerable time
commitments. In many cases, we use the solution on our business machines
to give it real-world challenges. Whenever bugs crop up, we file
detailed reports on how to specifically reproduce the bugs. When bugs
are intermittent, we dig for them while still using the software
normally. In other words, one of the things we do is try to crash the
programs and report exactly on how we caused the crashes.

I have done this through a private business, while working for a
university, and as a private consumer. In all cases, this is what
private alpha and beta testing consists of, and the developers always
get their money's worth for the software. If we charged, it would cost
significantly more for the service (the company which trained me now
only alpha and beta tests for large corporations and charges for their
services). It was in the late 90's when I worked with them and was
taught. I never became as intense as they are, but I always use the
principles they taught me.

David Chittenden, MSc, CRC, MRCAA
Email: dchitten...@gmail.com

Philip Bennefall wrote:
Hi David and Dark,

I also think that the final price of the product has an impact on this
decision. What you are essentially doing is paying the beta testers
for their work, and so let's say that the game will sell for 25 or 30
dollars then that's probably a reasonable amount to give in return for
testing which in turn would most certainly warrent a free copy. If,
however, the game or product sells for $150 then I would argue that a
free copy is too much payment in most cases. If the testers spend a
year running the program over and over again then it probably is not,
but in most cases I'd say that it is and then a price reduction would
be in order instead.

In short, one has to decide what one as a developer considers to be a
reasonable amount to pay for testing and if this covers the cost of
the game, give it out for free and if it does not cover it, give a
reduction.

Kind regards,

Philip Bennefall