well you could do what tom has done.
half and half.
We get public betas every so often but only stable ones really.
otherwise private testing.
Now something like entombed from public all the way sounds good but it depends
on the game.
Entombed for example is a world where public testing would probably be more
suited to see what needs going in since it will eventually become bigger than
it is now.
Most of the major issues in the engine are done and now only content issues
happen and most of these are done in fact I have not seen many bug reports
released over the last bit and none this week which is a good sign.
Ofcause the disadvantage with public is you can't offer any bonuses, ie free
games, discounts, etc to your testers because everyone would want one.
Unless you had a prepays system like blindadreneline has though hmph well.