It has nothing to do with a backup of a Hard Drive. I guess what he's saying is
get a Mac for Time Machine.  While that's good backup built into the Mac,
windows has alternatives for backing up, and the average price for a Mac I
wouldn't pay just to get good backup software like Superduper or Time Machine.
I'm done here. To end, I'll say that getting a Mac won't stop an external Hard
Drive from failing or having other problems for that matter.