Hi,
Well, weather or not you can attack multiple enemies depends on your
skills/powers. I know for sure if you have the power to use lightning
you can hit multiple targets with the same blast at the same time
which comes in handy.
As far as renaming your characters I know you can rename your pets,
and other party members, but I don't believe you can change the name
of the main character after you start the game.

HTH