Hi josh,
The ability to summon animals depends on your job class. For example I
am currently using a half-elf with the Druid job class. He can summon
bats, rats, wolves, and other dungeon animals to a battle to distract
or attack a hord of enemies. It is not quite as powerful as a
nechromancer's power to summon the dead, but is helpful.