I have not played for ages but I do it mainly to keep my strat skills in shape
its not got really any replay value but I use it as a simple training tool
because of its randum nature.
its got a simple stat engine and you need to do calculations in your head.
ie if the defence level in a char is lower than you say by 2-3 points then you
may have a chance at him, if 1 or equal then even.
if 1 or 2 up maybe but any more and you have had it.
And ofcause there are monsters with high attack and low defence and the other
way round.
the castle battle is a bit overkill, but the graveyard and village battles are
the ones I am talking about especially graveyard.
I know for example that a sertain monster has a blade and he is a minor boss.
and sometimes I can waste him but sometimes its even and somethimes its real
hard.
I also know that there is  a monster that if I look has armour to die for but
to get it off him I need to ingage in a long battle and the guy takes loads of
dammage.
One thing I like about lc is the fact that all the monsters in the centre
branch you need to kill, these are the core monsters.
the rest you can if you want but you may miss things if you don't.
Then there are monsters like the unicorn that you actually don't get a level
rec on.
in which case you need a reasonable high level.
firstly you need to get there without angering them then hope you are strong
enough to kill it else you have half your health cut and your potions
comfiscated.