Hi Lori,
If I understand you right you are confused by the bearing system. That
is in plotting a course at say 90 degrees?
In that case this isn't specific to Star Trek, but is common for any
kind of ship or aircraft for that matter. Instead of triditional
North, South, East, and West directions you are familiar with they use
the bearing system which ranges from 0 degrees to 359 degrees. I
believe I discussed this at length in the manual, but if you haven't
seen it here is a quick overview.
Imagine your starship is in the center of a large circle. Using the
absolute bearing system do north would be 0 degrees.  If you turn to
right you would be turning towards the East side of the map. which
would be do East, therefore,  would be 90 degrees.  Once you turned
around, do South, you would be facing 180 degrees. If you kept turning
West eventually you would be facing West which is 270 degrees. Does
that make sense?
Now, to complicate matters for you there is absolute and relative
bearing systems here. What I discussed above is the absolute bearing
system used for navigation and plotting courses. There is another type
of bearing system, relative bearing system, used for combat
situations.
Using the relative bearing system 0 degrees is dead ahead, the bow,
and 180 degrees is behind or the stern of the ship. If something is 90
degrees to port that is directly to your left, and if it is 90 degrees
to starboard it is directly to your right. So if an enemy starship was
attacking 45 degrees to port that would mean it is 45 degrees left of
the bow. Does that make sense?

HTH