Hi Lori,
In that case might I offer up a suggestion. in STFC 1.0 and 1.2 there
is a way to use the autopilot system to get to known sectors of space.
So if you set all of your ships to autopilot to the Klingon Empire,
for example, all of them would head to that region of space where you
would certainly encounter the Klingons in ship-to-ship combat. That
might make things easier for you until you learn how to use the
bearing system better.

HTH