Hi Haden,
I don't really know either. I suppose it is like a lot of other myths
from ancient times the stories got changed as the centuries passed by,
and someone somewhere decided to change the story for some reason.
This is by no means the first myth to suffer alteration after having
been passed down through writing or word of mouth through the
centuries.
Take the Egyptian god Seth for example. In the Old Kingdom he was seen
as a good and honorable god garding Ra's Boat of a Million years from
the evil god, Apep, the evil snake god of the underworld, from danger.
 However, as the centuries passed Seth took on a less heroic character
in Egyptian mythology and by the New Kingdom is as evil as Apep
himself. They saw Horris as the hero, champion of the people,  and
Seth as a villain.