Hello Nicol,
Um…think about that question a moment. There is no such thing as a
keyboard with six arrow keys. So no you don’t need a special keyboard
to play my 3d games.
In answer to your question to climb up or down you would use a
keyboard combo like control-up arrow or control-down arrow to ascend
or descend a climbable object.  The shift-left and shift-right arrow
keys are used to sidestep left or right and shift-up and shift-down
are used to walk forward or backward. The up arrow key by itself runs
forward, down arrow spins you around 180 degrees, and the left and
right arrow keys are used to turn you left or right. I’ve recently
added control=-left and control-right to do a 90-degree turn left or
right as well.
As for your paper example that’s way off. The horizontal line, the x
axis, runs East-West across the paper. The vertical line, the z axis,
runs North-South. However, that’s only a 2d plane. If we stuck your
pencil through the center of the page, make a poll running from floor
to ceiling, that would constitute a third axis of movement, the y
axis, which runs up and down. Does that make any sense?
Let’s look at it another way. I know you have played Shades of Doom
before. You know in that game you can go North, South, East, and West.
But you can’t climb up and down on ropes and things. With my 3d games
it will be similar to that accept instead of being able to go North,
South, East, and West you can also climb up and down to get to rooms
above and below your current location.

HTH