As you say, it does sound weird, and it is probably because we're used to hearing the sounds change to reflect our movement through the game. If the sounds don't move as we have gotten used to, how can we accurately judge whether we're within range for our weapons to take effect?

---
Shepherds are the best beasts!
To: "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Wednesday, October 06, 2010 12:24 PM
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] MOTA beta 14 confusion

hi Charles,
I don't think so. I just listened to Shaun's MOTA recording and it
sounds just fine to me. I think the problem is I'm use to the way
OpenAL positions sounds, so it doesn't sound weird to me, but for you
guys hearing it fir the first time it comes as a bit of a shock. I'm
going to try a couple of Phil's suggestions, but honestly I don't know
that it will sound exactly the same as DirectX.
So before we begin discussing new hardware and that sort of thing
let's tinker some more with the beta and see what's what.  It may be
you guys will just have to accept the way sounds are positioned and
live with the way it is. I don't plan to go back to DirectX for any
amount of money so let's try and make do with what we have.

Tom:  I have been playing the beta using speakers instead of a headset.
Now, using a headset, I hear what everyone is talking about as far as where the sound is indicating that monsters, statues, ropes, and other stuff is.
They stay right or left, don't move, and then jump to the center with one
more step. I'm confused on something. Is this due to our sound cards and
speaker configurations being old technology?  If so, what do we need and
what is the approximate cost of getting it? And, what about our operating systems and processors? I know that I am using old stuff. Windows XP home, a 1.9 gig Pentium 4 processor on a machine that was built in 2002 that still
works fine for my needs.  I haven't tried the beta on my laptop PC as of
yet, and really don't want to, because it is a work related machine.  If
something messes it up, that would be the pits, and not the fire pits of
MOTA, either!

---
Shepherds are the best beasts!