Hi Charles,
Well, for the most part all of the guns can fire a long distance so
you don't necessarily have to judge distance with those. The only
close range weapons you have to worry about are fists, swords, the
dagger, and so on. If a skeleton is trying to stab you with a
sword/dagger then it is pretty safe to say you are in equal striking
distance too.
One thing I can do is set the roll-off for the volume to get louder
when close up and more distant when far away which would work just as
well. Maybe I can't render a "clean stereo pan" but possible we can
get around this by tinkering with volume. What do you think?