Hi Shaun,
I believe that you're a bit confused here.
OpenAL will make 3D FPS-style games easier to write.  DirectSound might make
side scrollers easier to write, but it also is being phased out by Microsoft, so
in the long term using it is mpractical.
I just wanted to clear that up, in case there was confusion.  My opinions
on this are already posted.  OpenAL is a way forward.
Best,
Zack.