HI Tom
I absolutely love mota beta14!
I am blown away!
The panning is not an issue for me at all.
Here is what I do:
Spoiler
space
If I get near to an item such as a rope, leather, ammo, torch, etc.
I slowly  press my right arrow several times  instead of holding it down.
Then I move slowly to where the item is.
And then the item gets easily into the middle of the sound field.
And I can easily   press enter on an item  or jump up to get the rope.
I do not need 75 percent panning.
I can easily centre an item.
I do not have a 5.1 system, I only use headphones.
I am supporting you 100  percent.
I say go forward with this new audio technology.
Sorry I can't remember what its called.
Open al I think.
The panning is definitely not a problem for me.
 I agree with you completely, direct sound is something of the past.
The new audio technology is now at the order of the day.
And I like it that health and strength is announced as good, fair, poor
instead of percentages.
And mota beta14 is a nice challenge.
I played it many times and  I did not manage to finish the 1 or 2  levels
of the beta yet.
And this is what I absolutely love,  a game must not be so easy that one can
complete it straight away.
If people battle with the new panning, I say its not that hard to adapt to
the new audio  technology
I got use to it straight away!
Keep up the brilliant job.