Hi Bryan,
That's hard to say. Certainly it will add some additional development
time since I'm dealing with completely different APIs and platforms
now, but long term I don't think it will be too bad. It is more a
matter of the time spent up front developing both versions of the
engine and then making sure the same game code will compile and run
correctly with witchever version of the engine is being used.
For example, the Windows version of MOTA could use the DirectSound
stereo Pan control. Unfortunately, the pan control takes values
ranging from -10000 to 10000 and OpenAL uses OpenAL takes a 3d
coordinate to render the audio. This is something that can't be easily
emulated through a simple class member because the function parameters
are completely different. One way to resolve this issue is to forget
the DirectSound stereo pan control and route audio directly through
the DirectSound 3d interface, but we are right back to no simple
stereo pan control either. In order to insure compatibility between
DirectSound and OpenAL versions of the engine I'd have to pan sounds
through a virtual 3d interface which works, but isn't as clean as the
DirectSound pan control.
So most of my time in the beginning will be trying to find ways to
obtain the maximum compatibility between the two versions of the
engine while at the same time make use of native APIs for the target
platform. This will take some initial research and development time,
but after it is ready it should be smooth sailing from there.

Cheers!