From: gamers-boun...@audyssey.org [mailto:gamers-boun...@audyssey.org] On
Behalf Of Thomas Ward
Sent: Wednesday, November 03, 2010 9:45 AM
To: Gamers Discussion list
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] New here; saying hello

Hi Jim,
Grin. I guess that does make you a dinosaur. Lol!
Seriously though I often miss my Dectalk Express, and am a bit
dismayed screen readers are so absolutely focused on software synths
myself. There are certainly advantages to using a hardware synth Such
as sound editing, sound recording, etc alone where you don't want
Eloquence and so on being recorded in the background.  Once upon a
time before Speakup started using software synths like Espeak you
could boot Linux and have all the startup prompts and shutdown prompts
read for you. With a software synth the OS has to be fully loaded
before you can get speech output. Kind of a step backwards in my
opinion.