HI Dark,

Well, I've certainly had my fair share of those experiences too, but
to be honest a lot of it comes down to the game creator and not really
the fault of Adrift, Inform, etc. Thanks to some urging from Ibrahim
i've grabbed the manuals for Adrift 4.0, Inform 7, Tads, etc and have
been looking into how triditional interactive fiction games are made.
Fact of the matter was some of my own views and beliefs about the if
languages were wrong because I hadn't touched Inform for a very long
time and the language has gotten far more advanced than the last time
I looked at it. While I have played Adrift games for a number of years
now I really hadn't looked at the generator since the 3.9 days because
they went to a shareware license and I wasn't willing to spend the
money on it. However, I recently downloaded the demo of the Adrift 4.0
generator and am surprised at how much has changed since 3.9. I
actually managed to build a simple Vietnam war game using Adrift, and
if I had a licenced copy of the generator I could have made it into a
full scaled action adventure game.

However, getting back  to the point the thing I've discovered is you
can create practically an unlimited number of aliases for objects like
gun, machine gun, rifle, etc and that makes the input system much more
flexable. If you decide to write your own commands you can make an
unlimited number of commands, refrazing the command a few different
ways, making it easier to guess the correct verb or item name.
Unfortunately, in those situations where you must guess the exact
fraze it sounds to me like the developer was just being lazy and
didn't want to add any alternative commands or alias to the game.
Though, I can say if I do decide to use Inform, Adrift, Tads, whatever
I will try and add as many different alternatives to make them easier
to play.