Hi Thomas,

Also, with OpenAl wouldn't you be suffering from the inferior panning control? Or rather, the lack of one. Granted XAudio2 doesn't have one either, but as we've discussed it is perfectly possible to build one that works exactly as in DirectSound which is what Streemway implements. You still get all the 3d features, of course, as well as the ability to both use the provided effects and insert your own dsp code. Streemway exposes these features, and so will BGT.

Kind regards,

Philip Bennefall
To: <phi...@blastbay.com>; "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Monday, March 07, 2011 5:05 AM
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] Seamlessly upgrading DirectX

Hi Philip,

Thanks. Hopefully that will help me get this working with DirectX. I
really need to streamline my installs so that these dependencies get
installed without the end user figuring out if they have the correct
dependencies.

As far as XAudio2 goes I'm planning on upgrading to the new Streemway
when you make it available to me. I'd really hate to write my own
middleware wrapper for it when I'm already a licensed Streemway user.
Although, unfortunately I'm involved in writing my own middleware
wrapper for OpenAL on the Linux side, and since OpenAL is
cross-platform there really isn't any reason I couldn't use that
instead of XAudio2 if I wanted. However, XAudio2 handles memory far
better than OpenAL which is why I'm planning on using XAudio2 for the
Windows engine.

Hi Thomas,

The link I used to get my initial example is:
http://zetacentauri.com/blog/?p=74

A little out of date in terms of what libraries it uses but still very much
functional.

The only annoyance was the issue with the license agreement, but since I am making a commercial game I have no problem forbidding users to redistribute
my installer.

All I do for my upcoming game is to add XAudio2 and X3dAudio to my setup and
that's that. As simple as can be.

Do you plan to write your own XAudio2 wrapper, or were you refering to using
the updated Streemway?

Kind regards,

Philip Bennefall