Tom. Kinda off beet here, but have you heard graphic audio's version of the
DC comics stuff? If not then you should check it out.
http://www.graphicaudio.net.

-----Original Message-----
From: gamers-boun...@audyssey.org [mailto:gamers-boun...@audyssey.org] On
Behalf Of Thomas Ward
Sent: Monday, March 21, 2011 8:58 AM
To: Ken the Crazy; Gamers Discussion list
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] Thoughts on Community Projects

Hi Ken,

Sigh...When it comes to voice acting I'm quite frankly extremely picky how
it sounds. Especially, if we are talking well established characters like
Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, etc. Understand I'm not so much against
having people volunteer for voice acting if they can do it, but I'll say
from the start muy personal standards are extremely high.

For instance, if they are going to record some voice acting I'd expect them
to use a decent mic, have very little to no background noise, no hiss, etc.
What I want/expect for a decent production is a nice crisp clean recording
so we don't have to try and edit all that out in post production. Certainly
I think you can understand that.

Then, there has to be the right voice for the job so to speak. A young
teenage female actress might sound alright for Wonder Girl or Supergirl, but
would sound too young for Wonder Woman who has a strong womanly voice. Diddo
for Hawkgirl who also would have a middle aged female voice. When it comes
to say Superman you definitely need a strong male voice, perhaps around age
35, to sound right. You don't want Superman sounding like a 15 year old kid.
Lol!

Anyway, I wouldn't be that strongly aposed to it if we were talking a real
time action/adventure game, but that's not at all what I'm thinking of. I'm
thinking of a simple text-based gamebook type system that is similar too the
RPG books where you pick a character, a game story, and then play through it
as the story progresses.  Think of it in terms of the old choose your own
adventure books that were out in the 80's only with a lot more randomess and
ability to increase your skills, powers, etc as you progress. Things like
cut scenes etc is absolutely unnecessary here. Not if we are talking a
gamebook style system.

The thing is I'm not sure why, but ever since games like Entombed have come
out when you mention RPG game everybody starts asking for voice acting,
music, sounds, whatever. Why can't a game just be a simple text-based
gamebook system? Why must it become some 100,000 line monster with sounds,
music, etc when text-based gamebooks can be just as equally fun?

The reason I'm asking this is because I'm still a fan of text adventure
games like Zork, Wishbringer, etc. Just because they don't have killer
graphics, sounds, and music doesn't make them one bit less fun to play. I
was a Sryth guild member for two years and I played the game constantly and
Srith is nothing more than a bunch of html and scripts. The fact that the
game is completely text-based doesn't seam to bother me. I'd like someone to
explain to me why everything has to be high-tech. Don't you guys believe
that a text-based game can be fun, or does it only become fun once you have
7.5 GB of sounds and music?

Cheers!

_____________ NOD32 EMON 5970 (20110321) information _____________

_____________ NOD32 EMON 5970 (20110321) information _____________