Hi Clement,

I'll fess up now and say that I totally intend to get you started on
x-ray moves. I'm wondering whether we think the same thing.

I actually pulled off my first ever X-ray move by accident. Oh the
joys of button mashing!

Having learned how to execute them intentionally now, they've started
to really irritate me. Essentially I think the problem is, while they
sound and by all accounts look great, they totally break the constant
pressure of the fight. Things like mega long combos or chains of
attacks make me panic when I'm on the receiving end or exhilerated
when I'm the one dealing them out, but X-ray doesn't manage to do
that. I think the problem is that once the sequence has started, so
far as I can tell there's no way to break it, so the person on the
receiving end just sits there hopelessly. The sequences take so long
that I have time to be angry that someone's x-rayed me, sad that my
character is having a bad day internally all of a sudden, but then
there's also time to consider what to do next. On the other end of the
equation, they're not satisfying to be the person who's dishing them
out either. I think that's because they aren't hard enough to execute,
so there's no big sense of achievement, just the break in the rhythm
of the fight. That disruption has put me off my stride enough that
I've almost lost matches I was comfortably winning before throwing an
X-ray into the mix.

Is that what you meant by broken? To me, they just seem like a gimick.
Sad part is that they didn't need to be there. It's hard to tell how
deep this new engine is just from the characters in the demo, but to
me, it definitely feels like an improvement from MK VS DC. It's all
subjective of course, but that would've been enough for me I think
without the new gimick.

Scott