STFC? what game is that?

To: "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Tuesday, April 12, 2011 8:06 PM
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] Pipe 3

Hi Michael,

Well, like Charles mentioned the really big issue is time. The lack of
money may certainly be a factor why someone will stop producing games,
but the time it takes is definitely a factor. It isn't necessarily as
easy as "setting time aside to create accessible games" because I've
personally had days, even weeks, were there litterally wasn't any time
left over to set aside for game programming. I think given the fact
Justin works some long hours and has a family life too this is the
case for him. There just simply isn't time to set aside for game
programming any more. Yes, its sad, it sucks, but that's a fact  of
life.

The other issue I was trying to get across is a developers priorities.
For instance, when I started USA Games I just wanted to write some
games like STFC for fun and there was no pressure involved. There was
no time limit, no schedules to meet, and no deadlines. When I took
over Raceway and MOTA everything changed over night. It no longer was
fun for me because instead of being a relaxing fun pass time game
programming was a responcibility, and I started getting e-mail after
e-mail wanting to know if and when I'd hurry up and release game x.
That just killed it for me right then and there.

Besides that in 2008 I began to take Linux seriously as an alternative
to Windows. Naturally I personally wanted to port my games to Linux,
but of course everyone on preorder for Raceway and Montezuma's Revenge
were running Windows. So my desire to create Linux accessible games,
and my customers need to have the games written for Windows came into
direct conflict. My priorities as a developer had changed even though
my customers prefered operating system had not. So now I'm faced with
this huge elifant in the room which means I have to take more time out
of my busy schedule just to insure my needs and my customers needs are
met. I.E. produce a version for Windows and eventually release a
version for Linux. That's simply no fun. Not if you wish you could
write the game once and be done with it.

Cheers!